Karen’s proven neighborhood leadership:Karen Kerney is not ONLY a well-established current resident of the 3rd District, but she has also been immensely involved with “boots-on-the-ground” involvement as illustrated below.
- Served as Balboa South Indian Trail neighborhood Council chairwoman for nine years.
- Worked in concert with other third district neighborhood council chairs regarding allocation of federal funds.
- City of Spokane human services advisory board.City of Spokane police Department advisory board.
- Spokane Fire department Foundation Board.
- Symphony associates board.
- McGruff safe houses for children board
- Law enforcement library board member.
Proven record of neighborhood accomplishments:
- Worked to return 10 acres of green space back to the neighborhood Council and off city property list.
- Promoted construction of traffic circles on high-volume residential street.
- Helped to initiate construction of lighted pedestrian crossing on arterial.
- Assisted law enforcement to help identify and close noted drug house.
- Resolved traffic code enforcement issues for neighbors.
- Founded the “gathering place for seniors“ when there was no senior center in this council area
Other community service
- Vice chairman and treasurer of the Spokane fire department memorial project.
- Vice chairman of the 343 firefighters at 911 Memorial.
- Chairwoman of the law enforcement memorial project.
- Served on committee for the selection of art project for Jonas Salk middle school.